I have recently been convicted about how much waste (trash) our family produces. We have a pretty small trashcan in our kitchen and it is always overflowing. I keep finding myself thinking, “I wish we had a bigger trashcan,” when really, a better solution is to simply not produce as much trash. We don’t use very many paper products, but lately I have been trying to cut back even more. I LOVE cloth diapering (that’ll be a whole ‘nother post!), so we don’t produce waste there, either. The majority of our trash comes from unwanted, unsolicted newpapers and junk mail. So, I have been brainstorming ways to either reduce or repurpose our trash. All suggestions are welcome! Here are some of the ideas I have come up with so far:
1. use only cloth towels and napkins (no paper)
2. use cloth sanitary napkins
3. use cloth wipes instead of toilet paper (I do this for Micah, why not for us too?)
4. shred newspapers, junk mail…any paper, really. Use to make homemade paper or add to compost pile
5. use my own bags when shopping
What are some ways that your family uses to reduce waste?